Simulation is an essential tool that enables the performance analysis and the design of end-to-end networks. It allows to gain insights on complex behaviors that are hard to model analytically, and to study in detail the interaction among different elements of the network, at different layers in the protocol stack.
In collaboration with NYU WIRELESS, we developed an end-to-end simulation for 5G mmWave networks based on ns-3, a popular and open-source network simulator. This simulator allowed us to perform the studies described in the Transport Protocols and Mobility sections. It features:
- multiple channel models, including the implementation of the latest 3GPP model for frequencies above 6 GHz and the possibility of plugging traces from ray tracing softwares;
- detailed PHY and MAC layers, with customizable parameters that can be adapted to simulate different numerologies;
- 3GPP-like RLC, PDCP, RRC and core network elements, that extend the LTE implementation of ns-3;
- support for mobility via dual connectivity;
- ns-3 full TCP/IP stack and possible integration with the Linux TCP/IP stack.
|M. Polese, M. Giordani, M. Mezzavilla, S. Rangan, and M. Zorzi, “Improved Handover Through Dual Connectivity in 5G mmWave Mobile Networks”, to appear on IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC)||2017/09||Mobility, Transport, Simulation|
|M. Zhang, M. Polese, M. Mezzavilla, S. Rangan and M. Zorzi, “ns-3 Implementation of the 3GPP MIMO Channel Model for Frequency Spectrum above 6 GHz,” to be presented at WNS-3 2017||2017/06||Simulation|
|M. Mezzavilla, M.Zhang, M. Polese, R. Ford, S. Dutta, S. Rangan, and M. Zorzi, “End-to-End Simulation of 5G mmWave Networks”, submitted to IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials||2017||Simulation|
|M. Polese, M. Mezzavilla, and M. Zorzi, “Performance Comparison of Dual Connectivity and Hard Handover for LTE-5G Tight Integration,” in SIMUTools 2016||2016/08||Simulation, Mobility|
|R. Ford, M. Zhang, S. Dutta, M. Mezzavilla, S. Rangan and M. Zorzi, “A Framework for End-to-End Evaluation of 5G mmWave Cellular Networks in ns-3” in WNS-3 2016||2016/06||Simulation|